Hey everyone, it’s me again, Dan, welcome to my recipe site. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a special dish, southern chicken and dumplings. It is one of my favorites food recipes. This time, I am going to make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Southern Chicken and Dumplings is one of the most well liked of recent trending foods on earth. It’s simple, it’s quick, it tastes delicious. It’s enjoyed by millions every day. Southern Chicken and Dumplings is something that I’ve loved my whole life. They are nice and they look wonderful.
The most famous chicken dish in the South is probably fried chicken, but a good case can also be made for chicken and dumplings. Fried chicken celebrates the poultry in abundance, when everyone can get a piece or two. Chicken and dumplings makes the most of chicken in scarcity, when a single bird must feed a multitude.
To begin with this particular recipe, we have to prepare a few components. You can have southern chicken and dumplings using 23 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Southern Chicken and Dumplings:
- Prepare Chicken Base
- Prepare 1 large fryer chicken (4-5 lbs.), neck and gizzards removed, cut into parts
- Make ready 1 large onion, peeled and cut in half
- Make ready 3 stalks of celery, cut into large pieces
- Get 3 carrots, cut into large pieces
- Get 2 bay leaves
- Make ready 1 large sprig each of thyme and parsley
- Make ready 1/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- Make ready 1 tsp peppercorns
- Take 2 quart of water or chicken broth
- Get Finishing broth
- Take 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Get 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Make ready 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Prepare 3 tbsp tablespoons chopped parsley
- Make ready 1/2 tsp salt
- Take 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Prepare Dumplings
- Get 3 cup all-purpose flour
- Get 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Make ready 3/4 tsp salt
- Take 4 1/2 tbsp of butter
- Get 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (can use water as well)
To freeze chicken and dumplings, allow to rest until cool, then spoon into a freezer-safe container. Note: My mother always serves her homemade Plum Sauce. EASY and delicious Chicken and Dumplings recipe straight from a Southern gramma’s kitchen. A truly southern homemade chicken and dumplings recipe from the Mississippi Delta.
Steps to make Southern Chicken and Dumplings:
- To prepare chicken and broth, place all ingredients for base in a large dutch oven or stock pot. Bring almost to a boil, lower heat, cover partially and gently simmer until chicken is tender, about 2 hours.
- While chicken is cooking about 30 mins before chicken is done prepare the dumplings. To make the dumplings, mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with your fingertips until it looks crumbly . Make a well in center, pour in milk, buttermilk, or water 1/4 cup at a time and stir until a ball of dough forms.
- Once chicken is done, remove from broth and let cool. Remove chicken from the bone (this shouldn’t be hard, it should be falling off pretty easily at this point) and shred into medium-sized pieces, discarding bones and skin.
- Strain chicken broth through a fine mesh sieve (preferably lined with cheese cloth), discarding vegetables. Skim excess fat from the surface. One way to do this is to put the cooled broth in the refrigerator for a half hour which solidifies the excess fat for easier removal.
- Roll out dough ball on a floured surface, rolling it flat, and rolling about a 1/4 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into rectangles about 1 inch wide by 3 inches long. These are your dumplings.
- To finish broth, melt butter in dutch oven or stock pot used. Add onion and saute over medium heat until onion is beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium.
- Drop dumplings into gently simmering broth, a quarter of them at a time, stirring to make sure they don’t stick together. Cover and allow to cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add de-boned chicken. Allow to cook until thickened, approximately 15-20 minutes, or longer. Taste and adjust seasonings to liking. Ladle into a large bowl or individual soup plates and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Easily double to serve a crowd. Click here to PIN this Easy Chicken and Dumplings recipe! Homemade Chicken and Dumplings is a household favorite, especially here in the South. Chicken: Cut up chicken, but do not remove skin. The skin and bones can be removed later.
So that is going to wrap it up with this exceptional food southern chicken and dumplings recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am confident you will make this at home. There is gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page in your browser, and share it to your loved ones, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!